Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Qualities of a great career

I think about this for a few reasons. First, my career is a bit of a fortunate accident. Right place, right time, right fit, hard work. Two, in the context of advice for J. Chances are his workplace options will look very different than anything I can comprehend so I try not to spend too much time worrying about it and think, instead, its best that he is a kind person who pursues his interests and is guided by values and morality. Three, Linked In is full of so much bad advice. It boggles my mind that a site dedicated to professionalism can be so very much misguided. With that, I did screen shot this bit of wisdom. So I'm tacking it on to my little internet bulleting board here at NTL. The 4 Qualities of a Great Career: 1) I enjoy it 2) I'm good at it 3) I make good money * 4) I'm around fascinating people Answer in reverse order: 1) Where are fascinating people? 2) In what ways can I make money with them? 3) Which ones am I good at? 4) Which ones do I enjoy? *I'd add to Point #3 - everyone has a threshold of money that they consider enough. For some, it is multiple homes, for some it is freedom, and so on. There's nothing wrong with any point on the spectrum, as long as you are aligned and providing for your family. As Cheryl Strayed says, "pay your rent and your electric bill."