Monday, March 25, 2019

What I'm Reading: American Marriage

A 2019 resolution was to read more fiction.  Generally it's not the genre that I reach for but a good novel is a lovely way to use less mental energy and concentration than memoir or non-fiction.

I picked up American Marriage by Tayari Jones after seeing it on many best seller lists.  It was a novel set in modern American South in which an African-American couple struggles with incarceration, relationships, and what testing love and commitment under challenges one never expects.  It was well written and fast moving and made me ponder what does it mean to be married in 2019.

"Mostly my life is good, only its a different type of good from what I figured early on.  Some days I get antsy and start talking to Davina about pulling up stakes and starting over in Houston, New Orleans or even Portland.  She humors me, but when I'm done, she smiles because we both know I'm not going anywhere.  And when she smiles at me, I can't help giving on back.  This is home.  This is where I am."