The contents of the box vary from week to week. It adds a fun surprise element, as well as forcing us to try some things we may not have normally purchased. This week's box included some gigantic zucchini, leeks and fennel. In a search for the best way to use them, I came across this recipe. I'm hoping to try it out tonight. Sounds delicious!
Italian Gratin with Fennel, Leek and Zucchini
- 1/2 bulb of fennel sliced thin
- 1 red potato sliced thin
- 1 zucchini sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 large leek sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- olive oil
- dry seasonings (FOODalogue blend: coarse salt mixed with ground chili flakes, fennel seed, oregano, star anise)
- panko breadcrumbs toasted with crushed almonds
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbs parmesan cheese
- Saute vegetables with dry seasonings in a little olive oil.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in casserole pan and sprinkle crumbs.
- Layer half of vegetables.
- Cover with ricotta which has been lightly sprinkled with dry seasonings.
- Add second layer of vegetables.
- Cover lightly with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake at 375 about 20-30 minutes.
- Finish under broiler.
Serves 2 healthy portions or 3-4 smaller ones.