Wednesday, April 17, 2019

What I read: Dare to Lead

I finished the audiobook of Brene Brown's most recent work, Dare to Lead.   Having been a fan of Brene's for years, I do agree with some of the criticism that the book seems to be a recycling of ideas more than something new however, I appreciated the business context and think her fundamentals are so important to living the life I aspire to live, that hearing a refresher is not a problem for me.

One anecdote that will stay with me beyond the book is the idea of a trust being like a marble jar.  Both in the workplace, in friendships and in the home - trust is not a one-off topic or command.  "I need you to trust me" just doesn't work.  Trust is built.  Each time someone does something trustworthy - keeps your secret, asks about your day, follows up on something that is important to you - a marble goes in the jar.  Over time, these marbles build and trust is built.   When someone disappoints you, the appropriate level of marbles is removed.  Over time, you need a surplus of marbles or the relationship lacks trust.  It's simple, Brene learned it from one of her kid's elementary teachers, but its effective and easy to remember.

As usual, she had some good quotes:

I define a leader as anyone who takes responsibility for finding the potential in people and processes and who has the courage to develop that potential. 

If you have more than three priorities, you have no priorities. 

At the end of my life, I want to say I contributed more than I criticized. 

When we do not understand our value, we jump in where we're not strong or needed. We exaggerate importance in ways that aren't helpful. 

T - Who owns the task
A - Authority to be Accountable
S - Set up for Success
C - Checklist to accomplish