Thursday, September 26, 2019

What matters



One of the most significant good fortunes of my divorce has been the release of fear.  A divorce throws you off the "expected" life path and with that, I found tremendous freedom.  In a sense, I have acknowledged that my best life is lived somewhat off-center and the things that matter most to me don't require a suburban lifestyle, 2.5 children or an SUV. 

Divorce throws you off the course, whether you want to be thrown or not.  It's up to us to decide what course we want to re-join.  In a sense, it's a wonderful chance to "do-over" what may not have been working or what took years, experience and maturity to understand. 

With that, some things I've discovered post-divorce: lectures, hiking, glamping, theater, food and wine classes, bike riding, walks, city life, bookstores, and volunteering.   

Reposting this from May, 2015, including the peonies!   "Ask yourself what is really important and then have the wisdom and courage to build your life around your answer."


And adding something new: 

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding" - Khalil Gibran