Friday, February 7, 2020

Mermaids on a Mission to Save the Oceans

I received Mermaids on a Mission to Save the Oceans as part of MultiCultural Children's Book Day, a movement to bring multicultural children's books to classrooms and libraries.   As a volunteer reviewer, my thoughts are my own but this e-book was donated to me by the author, Janet Balletta.

I enjoyed the children's story and the diversity of the Mermaid council.   Each Mermaid represented a continent and explored some of the unique challenges its oceans are facing.  Within the context of the story, there are many examples of current issues - oil spills, plastic in the water, pollution making the fish we eat sick, melting glaciers etc.   The mermaids are presented a medal of Excellence for the job they're doing to protect the oceans in a story that encourages children to be advocates for the Earth.
I enjoyed the story and thought the teacher's guide at the end provided some insightful questions for children to discuss the book.   I would recommend the story; especially in conjunction with Earth Day or an elementary science lesson.