Thursday, November 21, 2013

On the Eve of your Birthday

My boy.  My handsome, kind, affectionate son ---- tomorrow you will turn one.   The Earth has made its way around the sun and you have arrived, nursed, grown, laughed, crawled, giggled, rolled, ate, slept and been an absolute joy to everyone who has had the honor to be a part of your first year.

My boy.  My wonderful, funny, giggly son ---- You have a depth in your eyes that makes me feel as though you've seen a million sunsets.  You have an intuition about you that makes me sure your soul is not young.  When mama was sick after a difficult birth process, you were an absolute angel. Breastfeeding with no difficulty, sleeping soundly with your dad, all 7lbs 12oz of you strong like a little bull. You knew mama wasn't well and you gave me time to heal.  I thank you for that; it was the first gift of so many I was about to receive from you.

My boy.  My beautiful, easy-natured, smiling son ---- You trust the world is a good place.  Not a trip to the grocery store has been made in your first year where you haven't smiled to a stranger.  You light up the world around you.  You not only brighten the world of the people lucky enough to spend everyday with you, but you possess a kindness that makes strangers stop, comment, or smile.

My boy.  My gentle, smart, loving son ---- This year has been a year like no other.  You entered our life and have altered it forever.   You have brought so much.  You have tapped into a love that we have always possessed but only you could access.  My heart is so very full.   My life is so very good.   There is nothing but gratitude for all that you are, all that you've been and all that is still to come.   May God continue to bless us all.  May your second year of life be as spectacular as your first.   My birthday wish for you, sweet son of mine, is nothing more than your continued health and happiness.  You are a wonder.  A true miracle.  



“when i have said my evening prayer,
and my clothes are folded on my chair,
mama and papa switch off the light,
i'll still be 11 months old tonight.

but from the very break of day,
before the children rise and play,
before the darkness turns to gold,
tomorrow i'll be one years old…
one kiss when i wake,
one candle on my cake.

a goodnight kiss for the eleven month old
to send him to sleep and to dreaming.
and blessings to the one year old
who'll be carried from bed in the morning.”

(poem via The Littlest)