Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar Night

I guess it's the optimist in us - but we love the Oscars in our little family.  My husband grew up staying up late in Rio with his dad and brother watching the whole show.  Maybe that contributed towards his tenacity and fearlessness in going after his goals.

I love the acceptance speeches.  I love the positivity and wonder that the night captures.   We'll keep up the tradition and one day start including Baby J in our Oscar night.   Dream big!

Couldn't have been happier that Matthew and Jared won.  Dallas Buyer's Club was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.  Well earned!!!

...and his "Alright, alright alright" was the PERFECTION.   Love.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you to the Academy for this, all 6000 members, thank you to the other nominees: all these performances were impeccable. In my opinion, I didn't see a false note anywhere. I want to thank Jean-Marc Valee, our director. I want to thank Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner, who I worked with daily .
Um, there's a few things, 'bout three things to my count, that I need each day. Um, one of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward to, and another is someone to chase. Now, first off, I wanna thank God because that's who I look up to. He's graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or any other human hand. Um, He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Laughton, who said "When you got God, you got a friend & that friend is you."
To my family: that's who & what I look forward to. To my father who I know is up there right now with a big pot of gumbo, he's got a lemon meringue pie over there, he's probably in his underwear & he's got a cold can of Miller Lite & he's dancing right now. To you Dad, you taught me what it means to be a man.
To my mother who is here tonight. Who taught me & my two older brothers, demanded, that we respect ourselves and what we in turn learned was then we were better able to respect others. Thank you for that Mama.
To my wife Camilla & my kids; Levi, Vida, Mr. Stone, the courage & significance you give me every day as I go out the door is unparalleled. You are the four people in my life I want to make the most proud of me. Thank you.
And to, um, my hero - that's who I chase. Now when I was 15 years old, I had a very important person in my life come to me and say "Who's your hero" & I said, "I don't know, I gotta think about that, give me a couple weeks." I come back two weeks later, this person comes up and says, "who is your hero?". I said, "I thought about it, you know, who it is? It's me in 10 years." So I turn 25, 10 years later, that same person comes to me and goes, "So are you a hero?" And I was like, "Not even close! No, no, no!". She says, "Why?" I say, because my hero is me at 35. So you see, every day, every week, every month, & every year of my life -- my hero's always 10 years away-- I'm never going to beat my hero, I'm not gonna obtain that. I know I'm not and that's just fine with me because that keeps me with somebody to keep on chasing.
So to any of us, whatever those things are: whatever it is we look up to, whatever it is we look forward to & whoever it is we're chasing...
To that I say, Amen.
To that I say, Alright, Alright Alright.
To that I say, Just Keep Livin', ye'uh.

(image)