Monday, July 22, 2019

Asking

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Sure, that expression sounds a little corny but it's also the absolute truth.  So many things in life need to be asked for or done with intention.  My younger self felt self-conscious "I hate asking for things" meanwhile I was frustrated and subtly resentful of things that were happening for people around me.

We have three summer interns on the team this year.  One of them just asked if he could continue working in a part time capacity this fall.   The team has been happy with his contribution (and the other two, as well) but he was the only one who asked and sure, enough - we were able to secure a part time position for him.   Had he not asked, we would not have sought it out.   A second example is a fundraiser I'm chairing for my son's school.   A few years ago my office was located next to a prominent Boston hotel and I became friendly with the General Manager's assistant, seeing her most nights in the gym and occasionally working with her for events.  The hotel was always generous in gifting overnight stays to various fundraiser's my team was involved in...   Although I hadn't talked to my friend in a few years, I sent her a note and asked if they might consider helping J's school.  Sure enough we exchanged a few pleasant emails and she secured a one night stay donation for me!   Had I not asked, it wouldn't have happened!

Moral of the story, ask for what you want and you just may get it.   Sit back quietly and hope it lands at your feet and it's almost guaranteed not to.  Better late than never to learn this lesson!