Wednesday, July 31, 2019

What I'm Reading: Fleishman is in Trouble

Finished this book recently and felt compelled to write something about it.  Although the writing was fast moving with some good observations about relationships, life, marriage etc.  I ultimately felt utterly saddened by the narrative and it's characters and even more so, the book is getting rave reviews which makes me curious about the ways in which people are finding this story relevant. 

Ultimately, the marriage of two self-absorbed professionals unravels and the third character faces her own crisis and comes to the conclusion that life is a slog and we should surrender to our children and quite pining for the good old days of our twenties. 

Perhaps it hit home as I think it reinforces and oversimplifies the stereo-type of divorcees (particularly women) as self-centered, immature reckless dreamers.  The ex-husband is also painful.  I think the author tries to add a comedy through his experiences with dating apps but there is so little regard for the humans on the other side of these apps and their dignity that I just didn't think it was funny. I was hoping he may mature but I didn't see any growth or shift in his character at all. 

I found my favorite review of the book on Goodreads and in summary, the reader says:  Brodesser-Akner's characters all come from a narrow slice of wealthy, social-climbing NY/NJ life; these men/women/marriage/divorce problems are very much Upper West Side men/women/marriage/divorce problems. And everyone here seems . . . stuck. Characters find themselves in time & money crunches, resentful of spouses & friends & co-workers, but those crunches are the product of choices—choices that are neither inevitable nor permanent. It's irritating that none of the characters seems to recognize that there are alternative ways of living, communicating, parenting.

I would add that I think their self-obsession was sad and irritating.  I suppose that if you have a singular purpose in life: to maximize your satisfaction, aging is depressing.   On the other hand, my life has been more full with age - my relationships are more honest and connected, loving my son brings me incredible joy, and I travel and have dreams.  Thankfully, it seems I'm not in trouble.