Monday, September 24, 2012

Do as I do...


“What you are shouts so loudly in my ears I cannot hear what you say.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
  
My boy, I hope we live a life you are proud of. I hope we treat people well, not only in your presence, but always. I hope you learn from us the power of dreaming big dreams and relying on yourself, not anybody else, to chart a course to achieve them.

So often in pregnancy you hear people say what they want their child to achieve in life - whether it is happiness, success, healthy relationships.... without stepping back to realize that we will be our children's greatest teacher and they will learn more from what they see us DO than any other source.

Yesterday we celebrated my dad's birthday. He is a man that taught us to be generous, compassionate, moderate ...and to take a calculated risk now and again. I have been so blessed with great parents who set firm examples, in their actions, not only their words. I believe that is how you teach children. So, in addition to prayers for a new child, I will continue to ask for strength for ourselves ---- so that each day we put in the work to be the type of people - in all ways - that we hope our children will grow to be.

(2012 Olympian Oscar Pistorius - image)