Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody

Every once in awhile, a movie feels so right!   I saw Bohemian Rhapsody, not once but TWICE, over the Christmas break.  I grew up listening to Queen.  Looking back, we could gage my father's temperament based on what music was playing that day.  Queen evokes happy memories.   I thought I'd see a movie of a flamboyant rock n roll star and the usual rock band quarrels.   Instead, I saw a gorgeous story of a larger than life human being, the love he had for those around him, the sincere goodness, and self-centered weaknesses, of those around him, with some of the best music weaved throughout.   Needless to say, I loved it and after skipping the Oscars for a few years, I look forward to tuning in and rooting for Rami Malek (brilliant!) and the whole cast & crew.

Freddie's relationship with Mary Austin was especially beautiful and unexpected, to me.

Not in the movie but excerpted from a 1985 interview, Mercury said of Austin, 


"All my lovers asked me why they couldn't replace Mary but its simply impossible.  The only friend I've got is Mary, and I don't want anybody else.  To me, she was my common-law wife.  To me, it was a marriage.  We believe in each other and that's enough for me."   
Image result for bohemian rhapsody malek