Friday, January 18, 2019

Year in Review - 2018

Last year, I wrote this recap of my year.   I liked the exercise as a way to pause and reflect on exactly how much gets done before we set our attention and intentions on new goals.

Here is a quick summary using last year's format.

Travel:
A big one, a good one for me this year!   I took my first SOLO adventure.  Something I've always wanted to do and it did not disappoint, in fact, it highly exceeded my expectations.  Three hours north of Vancouver, I found myself in the most beautiful glamping resort.   I met people from all over the world, rafted on a gorgeous glacial river and remembered that life expands or contracts by our own bravery.  Fantastic!    I also took an unforgettable trip to Big Sur- a place I always wanted to go.  Again, its beauty and the trip exceeded my already high expectations.  I met a new friend, a widow, who reminded me of all the wonderful people out there in the world and spent half the trip with one of my oldest friends, who reminded me how lucky I am to have such deep bonds of friendship. Ventana was everything I dreamed it to be and more and I feel so glad to have experienced it all. 

J and I also took a trip to a new part of Vermont, which we both still talk about.  We had family adventures in Florida and  New Jersey and time with friends in Newport.  I had a beautiful fall weekend in Provincetown (my first trip there) and a once in a life time trip to Montreal.

I feel well traveled and am looking forward to more adventures in 2019.

Life:
I'm getting there!   Little by little, step by step.  This was a year of radical improvement for myself.  I'm learning to be truly comfortable and confident on my own;  I can travel, go to a movie, sit.  While it seems simple, I think it's one of the hardest things - to really be alone with yourself.  And I'm getting there.  Alone doesn't mean lonely, in fact, just the opposite.  If I can master it, it means I will never be lonely.  What a gift.

Art:
Make no doubt about it - Hamilton.  It's Quiet Uptown has been a bit of an anthem for me since seeing the show and the sheer genius of Lin Manuel Miranda has inspired me since. 

Work:
It was a critical professional year for me with two significant promotions.  I am currently the Director of Human Resources for a 100+ person clinical stage biopharmaceutical company.  I completed a course through Cornell on Strategic Human Resources, which challenged me and gave me direction.  I plan to continue to pursue professional growth and development and am enjoying the benefits of my new role.

Parenting: 
This year J began Kindergarten (his real school career!) and turned 6.   My heart is so full watching him thrive.  He continues to be more confident, more creative and more determined as the years pass.  He is doing excellent socially and academically - mastering his handwriting, reading foundations and math.   He looks forward to school every day, has lots of friends in class and loves his weekends!  Watching him move through the world as a secure, kind and fun boy, is all I can ask. 

----

As I reflect on 2018, I am quite proud of the year that I had.  Life, as I'm learning, is a delicate dance of making it happen and letting it happen.  2018 brought professional accomplishment and personal growth.  It was a year of forward progress and joy.   I planted new seeds of hope and look forward to another year of possibility.