Saturday, January 19, 2019

What I've read: Almost Everything - notes on hope



Most years I resolve to read more.  This year is no different.  The first book I finished in two quick sittings between Christmas and New Year's.   Anne Lamott always has something interesting to say, and Almost Everything was no different.   Like sitting down and talking to a seasoned, funny, friend - her tone and wisdom made for a perfect first read of the new year. 

"There were moments when I understood that there was nothing much I was going to understand or figure out.  There was simply the present moment, awareness, impermanence, birdsong, love.  There is no fixing this setup here.  It seems broken and ruining at times, but it isn't: it's simply the nature of human life." 

"I wish good things lasted forever.  That would work best for me.  But God is a lot more subtle than I am comfortable with.  Saint John wrote that God is Love, that anytime you experience kindness and generosity, hope patience and caring you are in the presence of God.  Anytime you express these, you are drawing something I would call God into the world.  That is how ordinary and accessible God is - meals, TV, visits, laughter and especially friendship, which made Kelly share with us the things that finally made her feel safe..." 

Image result for almost everything