Monday, May 20, 2019

IMPACT breakfast

My morning started out with a Life Science Cares IMPACT breakfast.  I am on the council for this organization which pools talent, money and resources of the life science greater Boston community to help non-profit partners throughout the year.   I have volunteered to clean up for Camp Harborview on the Boston Harbor Islands, lead a group of volunteers at Christmas in the City and collected winter clothing and books for charities in need via LSC.   This morning at their annual breakfast we heard from a Syrian refugee who was resettled with her family thanks to a local non-profit, students from low-income families who have been placed in life science internships as a result of LSC and a recovering addict who is three years sober and has found steady employment thanks to one of the partners of LSC. 

I am proud to be engaged with this impactful organization and I thought of my dad for most of the morning.  I would have gone to their house tonight and told him all about it.  He would have teared up hearing the triumphant stories and been so proud that I was involved.  But rather than be sad, I am glad that I inherited this spirit of generosity from him.  It brings me joy to do good and I am filled with excitement about how I will continue a life of service and goodwill. 

If you want to make a stand, help others make a stand, and if you want to reach your goal, help others reach their goal. Consider yourself and treat others accordingly: this is the method of humanity. ~ Confucius