Thursday, August 28, 2014

House - months later...

We moved last February.  I had been looking at houses for about a year leading up to our move but hadn't found anything that really spoke to me.  In an effort to be realistic, I knew we couldn't take on a major renovation project - life is just too busy for us these days.  At the top of my wish list was a sunny kitchen, an open floor plan and some curb appeal.   We found those things and some of the harder to explain "charm" I was looking for in our current home.  We loved the working fieldstone fireplace and the kid friendly cul de sac.

While the things that topped my wish list still remain some of my favorite elements of the house, a few things have surprised me and I hadn't realized how much I would enjoy them.   1) We are the last house on the street and our house abuts 300 acres of town conservation land.  I love the privacy.  The dog can run free and the baby doesn't need to be watched every single second while he plays outside.  No cars are zooming by and I don't have to worry about bumping into a neighbor if I play catch with the dog in my pajamas.  A few times a week, I bring J and the dog outside after work and everyone just runs wild. I love that my boy gets so much fresh air.  It's fun to see his little wheels turning as he scoops the mulch into his toy truck or pushes his bike up and down the driveway.  By the time he answers "yes" to being ready to go inside he's officially wiped out and ready for his bath and bedtime.   It's a sweet ending to the day.   2) Our yard.  We bought the house in the dead of winter.  We could tell that the previous owners had a green thumb but I love that we have established plants and gardens.  But I also love that our yard has a little bit of everything - the front yard has traditional grass for easy play.  The backyard has a pool and gardens and beyond the fence is a more "untamed" area perfect for my compost pile and for nature exploration.

The house has been such a joy.  We haven't tapped into its full potential.  A lot of it is still unfurnished, we'd like to paint, do more landscaping, hang things on the wall, get better organized - but those days will come.  For now, I'm not going to let what's undone spoil what is done.  The fact that it's ours- our family will grow and learn and cry and laugh within these walls... it's a wonderful place to call home.