Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Letting Go

Lucca has Freshman Orientation today.  I'd be lying if I didn't say my heart is somewhat in my throat. Not that I don't think he can handle it, that boy is nothing if not capable and certain but I just want to be there, to see how he does, how it all goes...    But that's not my job, or his dad's either, for that matter.

Soulemama so eloquently described it:
Each year, and each new season, another layer of adventure is added onto the story of their life and the growth of who they are. And each time I think my heart might break a little from letting them go even further out of my arms, I pause and see their delight in the adventures that are all their own. And so I celebrate with them. Oh, what aching joy to watch them grow, and what a real pleasure it is to be their Mama."

As we let this boy go onto yet another exciting chapter in his bold adventure, the mama in me (stepmom or birthmom - it's indifferent) couldn't help but send him a text wishing him well and saying how proud I was of him.  And off he went....