Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Hobbies

A hobby is defined as something done in your leisure time that brings you pleasure.   In my 20's, although seemingly free of most obligation, I found myself filled with anxiety about what *should* I be doing - everyone, it seemed, was contemplating careers, graduate school, future spouses, cross country moves.

I vividly recall many discussions with my roommates, "we need hobbies".   My definition of hobbies was too narrow - golf, yoga, running, photography.  I could do them but none of them brought my significant joy.  I exercise because I see the value in it and there are days and classes when I'm very energized, but more often exercise is a dutiful obligation.

Move forward to 2019 and I could now list a few hobbies; things I do in my leisure time that bring me pleasure.  Maintaining this blog / writing.  Going to a bookstore.  Perusing a small grocery store like Formaggio.   Listening to podcasts.  Reading social psychology.  Trying many small plates while sitting at a bar with a good friend.  Attending a workshop on a topic unknown to me.  Taking a hike and following it with an indulgent meal or beer.  Playing cards or a board game.  Planning a trip. 

None of these fit in my 20-something definition.  I suppose I was imagining the hobby section of Barnes & Noble and wanted something with a magazine I could subscribe to.   A reminder to think outside of the self-imposed constraints.  Question yourself and your assumptions.