Thursday, February 7, 2019

Wine 101

Last night I took the Wine 101 class at the Formaggio Annex.  Taking a class through Formaggio is something I've wanted to do for awhile but they sell out quickly and for this one I booked in December.   I understand why they're popular, it was a very informative and enjoyable 2 hour session and I wouldn't hesitate to take another class they offered.   A few things I learned worth noting:

- Sparkling wine and champagne will not explode if properly chilled.
- Estate wines have been grown and made by the same group.
- Many European wines have a multi-page manual which specifies where and how a wine must be made to qualify with a particular label.
- It is better to describe a wine by BFAST (bold, fruity, acidity, sweetness and texture) than by grape varietal.
- To improve your palette, you should try and drink two wines side by side.  This will help you discern what you like and why.

I learned that I like low-acidity and light bodied reds, which explains why Riojas are often my choice!