Thursday, June 13, 2019

A friend

I've been blessed with some truly amazing friendships in my life.  I am friends with many people that I met in first grade, when I look at J it is amazing to me that so many of my lifelong friendships have been going since his age!   We have gone through so many life changes together - growing up, going away to college, marriages, jobs, illness, divorces, children of our own.  My friends are genuine and they are as imperfect as I am but over the past few years when the rollercoaster of life began to truly wobble, I have been comforted by the truth, loyalty and sincerity that sustains these relationships.

When my dad passed away, one of my dearest friends, Sarah - I'm waving to you!!, flew from California to Boston to be with me for the services and the weekend.  In the days leading up to the funeral, another friend mentioned that she was coming in.  I said - no, no! that is really not necessary!- and we looked at each other and knowingly said, "but of course she's coming."  Not only was she at the wake and funeral, but the night of the funeral I was able to spend time at a friend's house drinking wine, in our sweats, in grief but surrounded by love and comfort. I couldn't have asked for a better place to be that night.

Sarah has one of the hugest hearts of any person that I know.   To know her is to love her.  She would give anything for her friends, her family or really - anybody who needed her.  She is the most steadfast and loyal friend imaginable and I trust her with every ounce of who I am.  ....we also have had some of the most fun and funniest memories over the years!    Sarah's journey hasn't been simple - she lost her own father 15 years ago, she defeated cancer and has managed a cross-country relocation.   If these years have taught me anything it's that sometimes we need to face the hardships of life to understand our potential, our strength and the depths of relationships that surround us.  Through divorce and now death, I have been the lucky recipient of Sarah's greatness.   Sometimes we are sent special angels and they love us unconditionally through life.   We are given the privilege and honor of loving them, too.