Monday, June 10, 2019

Idol

My dad idolized Warren Buffet.   I believe he first started following him in the early 80's - when my brother's baseball team traveled to the Little League World Series in 1986 he was recommending all the parents invest in Berkshire Hathaway.  One did, a dentist from town, needless to say - he's made more from that decision than an entire lifetime of dentistry!

My dad traveled to Omaha, NE often for the annual meetings.  Over time, as Buffet's popularity rose the Annual Meetings grew from intimate conversations to 20,000+ people conventions all the while, my dad - a small business owner from a humble family - felt no hesitation in his attendance at those meetings.  There were a million reasons one could have to not go, but he didn't let that stop him.  He went - 1) because he loved his investing advice 2) because he wanted to go.  A lesson from my dad - be unapologetically yourself.  You have every right and every reason to live your life as you'd like to live it.   My dad, despite a list full of handicaps, exuded confidence.  Not because he was arrogant or boastful, but because he was sure of himself.  He was well read and articulate and although mostly self taught, he was a lifelong learner.   Curious and insatiable, a beautiful mind.


        Once quoted and indexed by a biographer writing about Warren Buffett.   Not bad, dad! :)