Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bossypants Review

I started reading Tina Fey's Bossypants when I was home on maternity leave.  I wanted something light and easy to pick up while nursing.   I liked it.  I think she had a lot of insightful things to say interwoven with some real laugh-out-loud lines.   ....but I also felt it was too long and sometimes the jokes seemed a bit forced.   Coincidently, I feel the same about SNL.   They do produce some funny sketches but they always seem to go too long and leave me wanting it to end instead of wanting more...
That said, I would give Bossypants a B+.  Especially good if you're kind of a distracted reader, like me.  I started it in November 2012 and finished it in January 2014.   Not because it was epic but because I would get tired of it, leave it alone for awhile, and then pick it up again.  While it was written like a novel, there was no need to read it at once.   To me, it read more like a series of short stories...  David Sedaris-esque.   (for the record, I find Sedaris much more witty).    Unlike Sedaris, however, I appreciated Tina Fey's words regarding women in the workplace and motherhood.   She had a few really worthwhile things to say.

All in all, I'd say it was good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  I liked the second half of the book more than the first half.   And finishing a book these days gives me a legitimate sense of accomplishment!

A few good ones:
 “Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don’t just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles.” 

"....That must be what I look like to anyone with a real problem - active duty soldier, homeless person, Chilean Miner etc. A little tiny person with nothing to worry about running in circles, worried out of her mind." 

“In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and then getting out of their way.”

“I only hope that one day I can frighten my daughter this much. Right now, she's not scared of my husband or me at all. I think it's a problem. I was a freshman home from college the first time my dad said, "You're going out at ten p.m.? I don't think so," and I just laughed and said, "It's fine." I feel like my daughter will be doing that to me by age six.

How can I give her what Don Fey gave me? The gift of anxiety. The fear of getting in trouble. The knowledge that while you are loved, you are not above the law. The Worldwide Parental Anxiety System is failing if this many of us have made sex tapes.” 

“Don’t waste your energy trying to educate or change opinions; go over, under, through, and opinions will change organically when you’re the boss. Or they won’t. Who cares? Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” 

(image)