Thursday, February 27, 2014

Leadership

As a mother, I am a leader.  I don't need to be a "manager" in the corporate sense to empower people and make a positive change.  I am a leader in my household --- and hopefully I'm a good example to my son as well as his nanny and the people that help make our family a well oiled machine.

I appreciate this line on leadership via the ever-controversial, Sheryl Sandberg.   While I fundamentally disagree with a lot of what she says, I also think there is value to her words.  I would caution Ms. Sandberg to be careful about over-generalizing.  Not all of us are after the same goals.   Our aspirations and ways in which we feel personal fulfillment are as unique as the circumstances we are in.  That said, I appreciate the dialogue she's opened.   And I appreciate these lines on leadership, as I find it very relevant to the type of parent I hope to be. 

 ""Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.""