Monday, February 6, 2012

Baking for the non-baker....

I don't bake.  I love to cook and think I can hold my own in the kitchen, but baking is as different to me from cooking as say.... doing laundry!   To me, baking requires too much precision.  It is meticulous and gets a bit tedious.  I much prefer cooking - improvising, tweaking, swapping this for that, realizing that my dish isn't over if I forgot something...    Baking is too constricted.   Too many rules to follow....

Well, before I get into a full on psychoanalysis of what my resistance to baking means about who I am, I'll get back to the point.  I made something this weekend.  It was good, easy, and I followed the rules without breaking into hives.  So, for those of you reading who also steer clear from baking but find yourself wanting to add a few things to your repertoire, I suggest - Ina Garten's Coconut Macaroons.  They didn't require lots of obscure ingredients, they were virtually painless to make, and tasted fabulous! 

Coconut Macaroons:
1 14oz Sweetened Shredded Coconut
1 14oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or pure almond extract)
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Set the eggs aside and let them reach room temperature (this is important).  Preheat oven to 325.

Mix coconut, milk and extract.   Meanwhile beat the 2 egg whites and salt together until stiff (in non-baker terms, I just used a hand mixer on high and beated until the egg whites were no longer a liquid consistency.  about 3 minutes)   Fold in to coconut mixture.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper and using an ice cream scoop,  scoop mixture onto baking sheet.   Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.  Place on cooling rack and let cool.  Store in air-tight container and will stay fresh and soft for 5 days.  (perfect if you need to make in advance of a party).

*I drizzled a few with melted dark chocolate but we preferred them plain.

(image)

No comments:

Post a Comment