Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dining Room Whimsy

We were in the process of a dining room makeover.  However, unlike the nursery, we really only wanted a quick and inexpensive facelift, not a major renovation project.   We had a heavy dining room set from our previous apartment in there, but it never fit the space - neither in function, scale or aesthetic.  The room is an extension of the kitchen and we wanted it to be more a casual kitchen eating area, than a dining room. 

With barely an ounce of steam left in my tank, I forced myself to Ikea over the weekend.   I got the table there but didn't find any chairs that I liked.   I had picked up the rug on clearance at Homegoods for $35!  The price was right and we liked that it added some fun color and interest, while being durable.  So, I had the table and the rug.  My husband was just about finished painting the room (Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter - a neutral grey/tan) and now I just needed the chairs to complete the space.

I saw these on the West Elm website yesterday and realized it was the last day they would be on sale.  I pushed my 8 month pregnant self to the store after work and am so glad I did!   Not only were they on sale, the awesome salesguy gave me an additional 20% friends and family coupon - bringing the chairs down to $60!!   And they're solid, durable and cheery.   Just what we wanted for the space!   Something that would be bright, sunny and add a touch of whimsy.    We have curtains to go up, but just to give you an idea.   Here's the new dining space.   A can of paint and not even $500 - we had quite a transformation!