Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Busy Trap

Loved this article via the NYTimes: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

Aren't we all a little guilty of this?   I'm sensitive to the "I'm soooo busy" moan...  And I do wholeheartedly agree with the author that many of us use it as a boast disguised as a complaint.   While my days are full and I'm thankful to be surrounded by friends and family that keep my calendar full and alive instead of the alternative, like the author suggests, most of my "busyness" is self imposed and not utterly dire.   I try to find a balance between accomplishment, productivity and idleness.  Too much of either isn't good for my psyche.  But have no doubt that I very much look forward, and don't feel a pang of guilt, hopping on the couch once in awhile after a long few days of work, leaving the dirty dishes in the sink, the laundry unfolded in the basket and enjoying some shows I've been saving on my DVR.   Not busy ...and proud of it!

(image)