Friday, April 12, 2013

Brene on Generosity

"Give to people on the street.  Tip outrageously.  Help a stranger.  Write a note telling someone how much you appreciate them.  Smile.  Donate (more) to a cause that means a lot to you.  Take clothes to GoodWill.  Share your toys (grownups and kids).  Be patient with yourself and with others.  Replace the toilet paper in the bathroom.  All generous acts count!" 

Generosity is near and dear to my heart.  I have been the very, very fortunate recipient of some wonderful generosity in my lifetime.  My parents are a model of generosity.  We watched them, from a very young age and to this day, walk the walk.   I have met other people who's generosity just astounds me. 

I try my best to live my life with a generous spirit.  I try to be financially generous when I can, but as the quote above reminds us - generosity is much more than your ability to financially contribute.  You can be generous with your money, with your time, with your compliments...or perhaps even just your willingness to listen to a friend, or a stranger, who needs to be heard. 

Buddhists remind us that a candle is not made any more dim by lighting another.   Nothing is lost by practicing more generosity in our everyday life...

(image)