Thursday, April 4, 2013

Parenting

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but having my own baby and becoming a mother has brought to the forefront a lot of thoughts about the way we were raised and parenting choices my mom and dad made.   My siblings and I laugh a lot at their expense, I guess that's every family though... There were so many things that were "normal" to us, but when I look back as an adult I can't help but raise an eyebrow.

My parents, like all parents, had their deficiencies.  There were plenty of things that they could have done different and many things I will do slightly different with my own little family.   However, there was so much they got right and I will try to replicate.  They have taught us to be *good* people and to know right from wrong.  They open their home with a warmth and hospitality that is so sincere and kind.  I do not take for granted the gift I was given when born into my family.   One day, very very soon, I will start to teach Baby Joseph things and hear the voice of my father, my mother and my grandparents in those very bits of wisdom.   I guess, in that way, they live forever.