Thursday, January 5, 2012

Highlight of 2011

The absolute highlight of 2011 was our trip to Spain.  We travel a decent amount, but this trip was really special.  I love Spain.  I've been to southern Spain before but never Madrid or Barcelona.  I had articles printed off and saved in a folder for five years, just waiting for the time to come.  I devoured the On the Road series with Gwyneth and Mario Batali.  Anthony Bourdain's Spain Episodes have one of the coveted "Do Not Delete" markers on my DVR. 

Last spring, I got a newsflash from travelzoo saying that US Air was discounting all flights to Spain...  The time had come.  We got incredibly reduced airfares and the trip felt destined.  When I told my friend about the airfare special, she told me "your trip is going to be magic" ...and magic it was.

I won't go into the specifics.  The amazing food we ate at every meal, the sites we saw, the weather we had, the people, the fashion, the art, the cities themselves.  That is within me and will never leave. But I will tell you the way it made me feel.  The trip made me feel alive. The trip reminded me of who I am and what I love. It had the same effect on my husband.  It brought us closer, not only as a couple going on a 10 year relationship, but by strengthening our individuality, we were able to remember just how and why we fell in love - we are kindred spirits who at our very core find happiness in the same things. 

I have a painting hanging in my living room that we bought in Madrid.   It's one of the best things I have ever bought in my life.  I lose myself in the painting all the time. It brings me instantly back to Plaza Mayor. Not only to the neighborhood but to the feeling of being purely, honestly, hopelessly happy in that moment.

(image)

No comments:

Post a Comment