Friday, January 13, 2012

Thirty-one

I turn thirty-one today.  I like the sounds of it.  For as long as I can remember 31 was my sister's favorite number so she promises me it will be a good year ;)

Birthdays in my family have never been a huge deal.  As kids, we got to pick what we wanted for dinner and that was about it. Ha.  I'm not kidding!  I'm sure if my mom was reading this she would disagree --- on second thought, I do remember having parties at McDonald's and a little pizza place when I was really little - did you guys have those?  The McDonald's birthday party seemed to be the thing to do circa 1986.  I see kids parties today and can't help but wonder - is all of that necessary?  All we had was a few chicken mcnuggets, some fries and an indoor playground.  We all seemed to make out just fine. 

Maybe it was because of that high bar, that my birthday as an adult is sort of a fun day to hear from a lot of friends, feel a little extra loved and hopefully pick what I want to have for dinner :)    I also tend to take a big inhale, look around and feel very grateful on my birthday - grateful to be building and sharing life with an amazing husband, grateful for a healthy family that loves me unconditionally and supports me every step of the way, and grateful for friends that fill my life with laughs, love and good memories.

I understand things better now than I have before.  I also know enough to know how very little I actually do know.  The possibility of the future, the thrill of what I will continue to learn, the growth I will inevitably endure, it excites me.  Surrendering to age does not frighten me and I love this little thought about nostalgia.  Welcome, 31.  It's a pleasure to meet you.

We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, and everyone seems to think yesterday was better than today.  I don't think it was, and I would advise you not to wait ten years before admitting today was great.  If you're hung up on nostalgia, pretend today is yesterday and just go out and have one hell of a time.  ~Art Buchwald


No comments:

Post a Comment