Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bourdain

Lately, I just cannot get enough of Mr. Anthony Bourdain.  His words on politics, food, travel and general thoughts are really resonating.  The other night the Travel Channel aired an episode titled "How it All Began" and it included cuts of a documentary made of him in 2000 as well as recent interview segments.  I watched it twice!

Here are a few of my current Bourdain favorites.  Humor aside, I think what he is saying is very important.

“Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom...is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go"

 
“I, a product of the New Frontier and Great Society, honestly believed that the world pretty much owed me a living--all I had to do was wait around in order to live better than my parents.”

 
"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life - and travel - leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks - on your body or on your heart - are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.”

[On the Food Network] "Why am I so angry? Why can't I just let it go?  I guess because I worked so long just standing in kitchens cooking on a professional basis, it hurts me to see people do bad things to food or disrespect it. And as someone who's traveled the world and been fortunate enough to see people - often very poor people - cooking very well, and valuing food, it just makes me cranky when I see food misrepresented or disrespected. And because I can just be a miserable SOB sometimes."

[On Republicans eating Fried Butter at a State Fair in Iowa] "Is diabetes good? Is morbid obesity good? You're celebrating that.  An example like that first of all, how good can it be?  You're celebrating something that is on a level of excess and grotesqueness that is leading directly to terrible health problems."
 
(image)

No comments:

Post a Comment