Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas 2011 Blog Favorites

I say it over and over, but I'll say it once again - every single day I am humbled, amazed, entertained and inspired by the artistic genius of everyday bloggers.   This Christmas season was no different.  So many beautiful home decor tips, inspiring gift ideas and wonderfully written posts.  Here are a few that really struck me.  I hope your holiday is full of love, warmth, and peace.  Merry Christmas, friends.

#1. Courtesy of My Sweet Savannah.  I love this idea if you're hosting Christmas morning. 

#2. Elizabeth at The Littlest has the most wonderful way with words.  She offered her own family tradition and a wonderful suggestion if you're feeling overwhelmed with too many gifts.  What a nice idea!

something you want,
something you need,
one little something,
and something to read!

#3. Stephmodo is one of my daily favorites.  I love her aesthetic and point of view.  ....and apparently her wrapping!   So clean, fresh and fun!



#4. Wow, have holiday cards come along way.  There's now Minted and Tinyprints and even little old Shutterfly has really stepped up its game.  But these ones were my favorite this year!  Paperculture cards courtesy of Whoorl


#5. Lastly, this post from Soulemama.  I have no idea how I first came across this blog...but I am so thankful that I did.  It is full of the most beautiful writing and reflections.  It is a gorgeous, gorgeous reminder to me of the importance to slow down, inhale, and really live the life we are all living. 

It's a delicate and constant journey, this attempt at simple living, isn't it? Especially in the midst of the not-always-so-"simple" details that make up our days with five little ones. Especially in the midst of homeschooling or homesteading or trying to make a living doing what you love. Especially in the midst of trying to keep track of seven human beings worth of wool socks on cold mornings like today, just for one silly, but true little example. At times like that "simple" can sometimes seem like a far-off distant concept or even a laughable dream.

And yet, it's here, really, within us all when we look for it, and something we all feel harmony and peace from when the balance is walked well. 

I've been thinking about that a lot this holiday season, as our family has grown just a little bit more this year; as we've learned from years past where perhaps we did too much; and as our children grow, and with them, our own traditions take root and stand firmly on their own. I've been thinking a lot about meaningful simplicity as we balance just how much we take on, give out, let in during this could-be-busy season. 

One day in late October, I found myself alone with Annabel, waiting for our ballet boys. Feeling a little melancholic about the winding-down days of our own garden, I decided to wander in a nearby garden nursery. In the greenhouse, with babe on my chest, I walked the aisles. The paperwhites were there, and I bought more than I ever have before. It felt a little indulgent, to be honest. I took them up to the counter to pay before I had time to change my mind.

In recent days, those little bulbs have become such a source of light for me. As we determine just what we do in our days this holiday season, I've been checking in - in my mind and with my eyes - with those growing little flowers, as a metaphor for so many other things in our lives and hearts. Are we noticing them? Is our pace one at which we can watch those flowers grow? 

The first round of those planted bulbs live in every room of the house, and this morning are just about to burst forth with flowers. I'm certain it will happen by lunchtime.
It feels like magic. It is, really. How lucky we all are to notice.

Amanda Blake Soule, Soulemama

No comments:

Post a Comment