Wednesday, December 28, 2011

That time...

My shelves are lined with new books, my closet has some new clothes, my kitchen has some new fun toys...Santa was good to me again this year.  It seems like a good time to start a "diet".  Not the typical New Year diet of lettuce and lean protein, but a financial diet.  A few months ago, inspired by Joselyn's Shopping Hiatus, I challenged myself.  It wasn't insanely extreme, I just tried to not use my credit card for a month. Period.  Anything I bought had to be paid for in cash, which I had sort of pre-budgeted at the start of the month, ie. groceries, gas etc.

Anyways, it was interesting.  Similar to a health cleanse, it brought awareness to what I usually buy.  Where do I carelessly spend and why?  For starters, I learned that if I'm just running errands on a Saturday afternoon, I will mindlessly spend $83.76 at Target on....I don't even know!   That was one of the things that needed to stop.  Second, I learned that I will buy a new piece of clothing because "I like it".  Do I already have 3 things that look like that - yes.   Have I possibly forgotten about them because they are in the Dry Cleaning Bag - most likely.  So, instead of spending my Saturday at the mall, perhaps it makes more sense to spend it bringing my stuff to the dry cleaners!   You get the idea.  I learned a lot and brought a lot of attention to some of my habits. 

Needless to say, the timing seemed right to do another one.  I have plenty.  I have more than plenty.  But the credit card hiatus isn't simply a way to save money and recover from holiday spending.  For me, it's about a touch of self discipline, being a little introspective, and really bringing awareness to what I buy and why I buy it. 

I'm not about to get all Thoreau here and I don't think that all consumption is bad.  What I learned the last time I did this was there are some things that really make me happy - splurging at a specialty grocery store or finding a shoe exactly like the ones I wish I had bought while traveling.  I work hard and there's nothing wrong with treating myself.  The goal of this exercise is to just continue to cut away the things that don't bring me much joy or use, leaving more room and resources for the things that do!  

(image)

No comments:

Post a Comment